Reporting to the Business Intelligence Analyst for University Services, the Data Analyst provides analytics and reporting services to University Services department administration and its staff. The Data Analyst is responsible for creating, maintaining and disseminating ad hoc, self-service, and interactive reports and visualizations along with facilitating the production and sharing of analytical tools by division IT staff and analysts. The data analyst will work with both operational and financial data, and will develop a deep understanding of these data and how they interrelate. This position will identify opportunities for improving process efficiencies through the application of data analytics, create data workflows, integrate data between University Services systems, improve data quality, and assist in researching and correcting data related issues. This position will create and maintain databases and stored procedures in MySQL, MS SQL Server, and Oracle, as well as write and maintain Python scripts. The Data Analyst will serve the data and reporting needs for the following service areas: Campus Dining, Campus Support Services, Housing and Real Estate Services, Transportation and Parking Services, Print and Mail Services, Conference and Event Services, the Service Point, and University Services Administration.
Along with the Business Intelligence Analyst, the Data Analyst will be responsible for working with University Services business and technical staff, the Office of Information Technology, and other campus partners to develop and maintain a robust data warehouse portfolio serving the analytical and reporting needs of the division. This responsibility includes defining, documenting and maintaining departmental metadata, ensuring new system implementations adhere to pre-defined consistent data standards, exploratory data analysis, and requirements gathering, report and visualization development, and managing internal and external access to data assets (databases, extracts, ETL, dashboards, and reports).
Additionally, the position will play a key role in building, implementing, and maintaining the University Services analytics program and its capabilities. This role will support the Business Intelligence Analyst by helping to define, implement, and communicate new project processes, training programs, and learning opportunities, reviewing and providing feedback regarding data governance strategies and documentation standards. As an ambassador for analytics, the position will facilitate all University Services departments in developing new analytical capabilities, and will train department staff on how to utilize the analytics products for making data-driven decisions.
A successful candidate will not only possess strong data analysis technical skill but will also be committed to continual development of data analysis skills and knowledge. Also, a successful candidate will be required to develop a strong understanding of the mission, functions, and processes of all University Services departments and Princeton University. Finally, a successful candidate will be committed to understanding and contributing to diversity and inclusion at the university and division level.
- Develop business intelligence and analytic solutions. Use data visualization software (e.g., Tableau, Cognos) and predictive modeling tools (e.g., R) to analyze and communicate complex data and information clearly and efficiently to users. Create and schedule ETL workflows to deliver data, automate business processes, and ensure data quality. Help identify, research, and correct system data issues.
Lead internal data analysis projects and develop interactive reports and dashboards that can efficiently consume cleansed and consistent data from multiple applications. Collaborate with University Services technical and functional experts to understand their systems and data processes along with the complex interrelationships among divisional technology. Provide expert guidance for implementing new, or improving existing, data processes within University Services. Work with OIT on project teams to deploy and maintain production-level data repositories that meet the reporting and analysis needs of the business and automates data extraction and cleansing processes.
- Execute and maintain governance of analytics assets and platforms. In collaboration with divisional technical, business and administrative staff, manage content and permissions to data extracts and reports within the University Services Tableau server site. Serve as backup data custodian for divisional data repositories and platforms, granting and removing access based on the parameters and process established by the overall governance framework. Maintain and disseminate metadata documentation for information warehouse repositories.
- Assist the Business Intelligence Analyst with the creation and execution of the internal training and outreach strategies for University Services data analytics, in partnership with University Services Communications and the Office of Information Technology’s Center for Data Analytics and Research (“CeDAR”). Develop and promote internal data training services to University Services technical and business staff to assist with the cultivation of data analysis skills and the understanding of analytics tools like Tableau and Cognos. Host periodic open “office hours” to assist other University Services business and Data Analysts to better understand their data and how to use the tools. Work with University Services Communications to promote data analytics through periodic divisional electronic communications and outreach opportunities.
- Serve on interdepartmental project teams for new application implementations, ensuring data standards are consistent with the overall data warehouse strategy
- Develop and maintain proficiency with advanced analytic and database tools, internet resources, in-house data, and other resources.
- The position will actively participate as a member of the University Services IT team. Works on special projects as assigned.
The Business Intelligence Analyst will have continuous contact and collaboration with:
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS