Princeton University seeks an experienced undergraduate teacher and adviser to serve as director of studies in one of the residential colleges.
The director of studies shares with the residential college dean responsibility for the academic progress and well-being of approximately 900 undergraduates, working closely with the director of student life as part of an advising team that ensures a holistic approach to student support from orientation to graduation.
The director of studies reports to the residential college dean and a senior associate dean of the college, and collaborates on a daily basis with colleagues across the university, working closely with university programs that support the success of first generation, low income, and non-traditional students, and acting as liaison to one or more other university units. The director of studies has primary responsibility for recruiting and training the faculty members who serve as academic advisers in the college. The director of studies works closely with these advisers and with departmental faculty to advise individual students on all aspects of their academic programs and progress towards the degree.
- Terminal degree required; PhD in a discipline taught at Princeton preferred.
- An understanding of and commitment to the aims of a liberal arts curriculum.
- Sensitivity to the needs and concerns of a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated and consistent good judgment and discretion.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to take direction, as well as work independently and take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and to interact effectively with students, faculty, and other administrators.
- High personal and professional standards representative of Princeton’s commitment to excellence.
- This is a twelve-month administrative position. During the academic year, the programmatic responsibilities of this job require that the director of studies work some evenings and some weekends in addition to normal business hours.
- Ph.D. preferred.
- 4-6 years teaching or advising experience in a college setting.
- Prior or current faculty appointment at the college level.
- Prior or current appointment as an academic administrator at the college level.
For full consideration please apply before May 20th, but the position will remain open until filled
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW