Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Culinary degree from an accredited institution or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of 4-6 years’ experience as a chef or equivalent, managing teams of 15-20 associates.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to drive university vehicles.
- Knowledge of health department rules and regulations including Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HAACP) and Serve Safe.
- Flexibility with scheduling. Weekend work and work outside of the unit required.
- Must be able to coordinate and delegate tasks to meet deadlines.
- Extensive knowledge of culinary techniques: hot, cold, and garde manger for all levels of events including high-end plate presentation for VIP events.
- The ability to work independently with a high level of accuracy, manage multiple priorities, and delegate tasks efficiently.
- Reliability and willingness to take initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact with co-workers, faculty, staff, and students.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to meet firm production deadlines.
- Knowledge of computerized food production systems with ability to create recipes, develop menu forecasts, monitor standards, and control costs.
- Knowledge and experience with the use and maintenance requirements of kitchen equipment including char broilers, steam jacket kettles, pressure steamers, ovens, broilers, grills, slicers, choppers, mixers, and various hand tools.
- Essential Personnel: https://www.princeton.edu/hr/policies/conditions/5.0/5.0.4/
- Based on business needs, ability to work flexible schedule, AM, PM, weekends and/or holidays.
- Stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for a total of 6-8 hours per day;
- Sit for no more than 2 hours during an 8 hour day;
- Lift or carry up to 30 pounds frequently (34 – 66% of the workday);
- Lift or carry up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- Push or pull using forces up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33 % of the workday);
- Frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling with forces up to 30 pounds (34 – 66% of the workday);
- Bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs, reach overhead, lift overhead occasionally (less than 33% of the work day);
- Lift up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead; lift 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to chest height;
- Work under a range of temperature conditions (e.g., kitchens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, etc.);
- Possess physical agility, full range of motion, and ability to maintain balance.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working in a culturally diverse environment.
- Experience working in a kosher facility.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Experience with computerized ordering systems.
- Experience managing staff in a union environment.
- Knowledge of Local, State, and Federal Nutritional guidelines.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW