Reporting to the LAR Executive Director, the business manager supports and assists the Director and department in reaching departmental and University goals and objectives. The two most important aspects of the business manager's responsibilities are financial management and office management:
The business manager has responsibility for the financial management of the department, which is a recharge center based on cost analysis and rate setting principles for animal research facilities. Responsible for cost analysis, billing and account management, and oversight of purchasing and expenditures. The business manager will be responsible for accurate, timely, and service-oriented billing management for customers in academic departments. Will also be responsible for managing vendor accounts.
This position will provide critical support to the department's project to implement an enterprise electronic management system that will ultimately span all aspects of the department, including financial data. The individual will be responsible for preparing financial reports and presentations, proactive analysis, and budget projections for presentation to the Director, Advisory Committee, Institutional Official, and Provost.
Critical thinking and problem solving skills will be necessary in order for the individual to handle a variety of independent projects as assigned.
The business manager oversees a variety of administrative activities within the department, ensuring effective and efficient operations, including human resource-related matters, electronic systems and capital equipment management, purchasing, oversight of the website, and data security. Will contribute as needed to internal or external program reviews and audits, and strategic program initiatives as well as coordinate high-level meetings and program reviews. The business manager will have supervisory responsibility for administrative support personnel.
Areas of responsibility and influence include:
- Review and approve monthly billing and perform reconciliation for internal customers
- Manages vendor accounts with oversight of purchasing
- Annually performs cost analysis of expenditures to set service rates for the upcoming year
- Directly supervises the administrative staff and oversees general staffing policies and procedures
- Manages the acquisition of departmentally required equipment and supplies; maintains and tracks equipment use and maintenance.
- Oversees the departmental website and secure electronic records
- Works closely with other team members in the department and customers throughout the university to manage and direct the technology systems for animal research related information and financial management. Implements,tests,
and upgrades electronic systems to ensure business system integrity and continuity.
- Assist LAR management with critical business decisions and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree; in finance, economics, or business analytics management strongly preferred
- Minimum of one year of supervisory experience.
- Strong analytical abilities.
- Effective communications skills and ability to build collaborative relationships.
- Well developed computer skills, particularly with Excel, enterprise financial systems and databases.
-Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects
-Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and the ability to work both independently and with teams
- Familiarity with computer applications such as PeopleSoft, Oracle based software, and Druple would be a plus
- Familiarity with operations of a department devoted to the care and welfare of animals in an academic research program is also preferred
- Familiarity with cost center accounting principles
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW